Thursday, April 7, 2011

Is Mainstream News Dead?

1. I think that most television new is dead; my best guess as to why is because probably more and more people are getting sick of hearing the same 5 irrelevant and incredibly manipulated stories over and over again. Maybe people are also realizing that some of the biggest news stations aren't exactly the most reputable sources for daily news.

2. To get my daily news, I listen to privately funded radio programs, like NPR; I've found that though maybe they are slightly liberally biased, they have the highest amount of world news, covered in probably the least biased way possible. Also NPR does BBC Hour and BBC World news; both programs are more than likely the least biased source for news I've ever heard.

3. I think that the Daily Show and the Colbert Report are so popular with younger generations because most of the news that's on regular news shows is so depressing. It's good to be able to laugh at something serious. I'm not sure that those shows are the best way to actually learn about news, since most of the time they don't give the full story (a lot of it is just making fun of how other news programs covered it), but if that's all the news you can stand I suppose it's better than being completely uninformed (however if that's all the news you listen to you might be gullible and fall for some of the made up facts about the story John Stewart and Stephen Colbert add for humor purposes, so you might be a little worse off thinking that some things they say are true). Basically it's best to have more than one news source, even if one isn't really exclusively for information purposes.

3 comments:

  1. I halfway agree with you. Some people might not have the internet, or access to public radio, and only get there news from tv. On the other hand people don't think tv news is worth it because of what you said and it seems more beneficial to get it from another source.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that people like to hear something uplifting on the news and not the same rambling about ten dollar gas or the never-ending "war" in the Middle East. Teens and young adults like things that are new and edgy and the news would be better off presenting the news in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People do like to hear new uplifting things of course, but mostly people like to hear depressing things about death and destruction, which seems to be the majority of the news today. I've found that this is especially the case on local television. This is my third sentence.

    ReplyDelete